If you’re having new laminate floors installed in your home, take the following steps to ensure that the job goes smoothly.
- We may need to remove doors, so don’t leave any decor hanging on any doors
- Ensure that your pets & children remain off-site or secured in a safe area for the duration of your installation to keep them from danger.
- Be prepared for your installation to stir up dust.
Knowing what to expect from your laminate flooring installation can go a long way towards a smooth & satisfying process. Consult our brief checklist of considerations before your Georgia Flooring installers arrive.
- We’ll determine in advance how to handle the removal & disposal of your existing floors. If you currently have carpeting, you can minimize dust by vacuuming it before it’s removed.
- We’ll also determine in advance how your furniture will be moved. You should remove any fragile items, draperies, wall hangings & the contents of any closets as part of this process.
- Know that laminate should, in general, run parallel to windows or to the longest wall in a narrow room. We’ll follow this general rule by default barring unusual circumstances, but we’ll always ultimately align with your design preferences.
- We’ll measure your door clearances to determine if your new laminate floors will be thicker than your existing floor, and whether this will cause your door bottoms to rub. If so, we may need to have your doors shaved down to allow damage-free clearance.
- If you’re planning to repaint or remodel any other aspects of your room, do so before new laminate flooring is installed. This will help to prevent drips & other damage to your floors.
With proper installation, your new laminate floor will look good now & for many years to come. Our team will consider the following.
- Your current flooring. Laminate can be installed directly over some existing floors, but others will need to be removed first. We’ll then ensure that the subfloor is level & smooth.
- Moisture testing. Our installers will check for moisture in the subfloor to prevent later problems with buckling or cupping.
- Room shape. Challenges caused by room irregularities, odd or tight spaces, cabinetry or a kitchen island will all be addressed individually by our experienced professionals.
- Installation. Our team will cut and place each laminate plank or tile, maintaining a gap around the floor’s perimeter to allow for expansion due to temperature or humidity.
Check with our team to find out if there are other actions we recommend before installation.